Skip to main content

Checkerboard Cake

How to make a checkerboard cake!





This was my first attempt at making a checkerboard cake and it's surprisingly easy. A good trade of a little extra effort to have a striking look on the inside of the cake.

I found a really easy and tasty recipe on this site (site link) which had all the measurements in grams and millilitres (my favourite). There were only 5 eggs in the fridge so scaled back the other ingredients accordingly. So much easier when recipes use grams and ml's!


--------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is some of the content of that site just in case the link doesn't work in the future:

  • 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1 cup (150) plain flour, sifted
  • 2 2/3 cups (590g) caster sugar
  • 300g butter, melted
  • 1 ¾ cups (440mL) milk
  • 6 eggs, beaten lightly
  • 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
  • ½ cup (50g) Baking Cocoa, sifted

  1. Preheat oven to 160°C/ 140°C fan forced. Grease and line four 18cm round cake pans with baking paper.
  2. Combine flours, sugar, butter, milk and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric beater; beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until just combined. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale.
  3. Evenly divide cake mixture into two bowls; add vanilla bean paste to one bowl and mix well. Add Baking Cocoa to remaining bowl, mix well. Divide vanilla mixture among two prepared pans, and divide chocolate mixture among remaining two prepared pans; bake 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, level cake tops.
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Here are the 4 cakes. I forgot the add a baking belt (see my baking belt tip) to the last cake so you can see how the top right cake is a bit funny.





Make up a template so that the width of the concentric circles leaves roughly 5 evenly sized patches/strips/paths/etc across the diameter of the cake.

Carefully cut along the inner and outer circles of the template.





You should end up with a number of circles like this. Or as my kids call them - Monster Eyes.



Insert the circles into the cakes so that the colour alternates as follows:

(I forgot to place icing between the concentric circles which made it tricky to cut the cake without it falling to pieces).



Stack up the cakes to find the best fit being careful to alternate the colour of the cakes. Having a chocolate, vanilla, vanilla, chocolate cake was the best combination for a level cake but the colours wouldn't work out!




Ice up the layers.




Decoration time. I butter creamed up the outside of the cake then used some of my left over mirror glaze to tidy up the cake for fun.





I was lazy and used a blunt knife so the cuts weren't clean but still pretty happy with my first attempt at a checkerboard cake :)



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed Construction Cake

My 3 year old is a typical boy and loves all building and construction related items. We have been fortunate enough to build a house in the last year much to his joy. At one stage I think his vocabulary solely consisted of 'digger', 'bulldozer' and 'tractor'. And 'no', he knew how to say 'no'... As usual I asked him what sort of cake he would like for his birthday and a 'building' cake it was. I had a quick think of the various building or construction cakes I could make and settled on a quarry type design where trucks could ride up and down levels doing their thing. Our sons Godfather (not the Italian type with horse heads lying about) is a civil engineer so I sent him cryptic messages over a number of days seeking his input on plant and equipment management at a quarry site.  After a few days of intrigue I finally let on that my questions were cake related. Poor guy, I think he was keen to sink his teeth into a big ca

Random Cakes

Below is a random list of cakes I would like to write articles about at some point. Plenty of fun memories here from problem solving my way to make these cakes. 4 year old Lightning McQueen racing cake: 2 Year old "Where's the green sheep" cupcakes 5 Year old dinosaur volcano cake complete with smoke (dry ice) We had a ball freezing things in the sink! Random other items I just did the Autobot face for a friend, they made the cake. My modified tool box.

Cake Turntable

I've been keen to have a cake turntable for a while but couldn't seem to find a turntable which didn't wobble a fair amount. I even shopped around at a few fancy kitchen stores and their turntables also wobbled.  All the turntables I saw had an axle as the only support which would be great if the tables used a really high quality bearing and mounting but sadly even the expensive tables used cheap components.  I decided to take matters into my own hands and simply make a crude turntable. My difference would be to switch the support from a centre axle to a few wheels on the outside of the table to spread the weigh around and hopefully allow a smooth action. O, and NO WOBBLE! Off to Bunnings I went with the 3 kids in tow. Bunnings is our standard Daddy daycare outing as we all have a blast playing with the various tools and imagining the projects we can work on. The kids park and free popcorn doesn't hurt either....  Enough distractions, back to the tabl