Skip to main content

Chocolate Mud Cake - Super easy, yummy and fail safe!


Chocolate Mud Cake - Super easy, yummy and fail safe!




Below is a recipe from a lovely lady called Jodie. It's super easy and very yummy. Takes a little bit longer to cook than other cakes but the result is worth waiting for!

Remember to keep the temperate down a little so the cake is nice and 'gooey'.







At the lower temperate the cake should be reasonably flat but if you are struggling with bulging/dome cakes then try out my tip re baking strips: https://dadmakingcakes.blogspot.com/2017/08/how-to-bake-cake-with-flat-top.html



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed Construction Cake

My 3 year old is a typical boy and loves all building and construction related items. We have been fortunate enough to build a house in the last year much to his joy. At one stage I think his vocabulary solely consisted of 'digger', 'bulldozer' and 'tractor'. And 'no', he knew how to say 'no'... As usual I asked him what sort of cake he would like for his birthday and a 'building' cake it was. I had a quick think of the various building or construction cakes I could make and settled on a quarry type design where trucks could ride up and down levels doing their thing. Our sons Godfather (not the Italian type with horse heads lying about) is a civil engineer so I sent him cryptic messages over a number of days seeking his input on plant and equipment management at a quarry site.  After a few days of intrigue I finally let on that my questions were cake related. Poor guy, I think he was keen to sink his teeth into a big ca...

How to bake a cake with a flat top

Cake with a flat top My cakes often had large domes which cracked. This leads to a fair amount of wastage when you need level cakes for stacking. If only there was a way to bake nice level cakes without having to cut them level... Turns out something called a "baking belt" does wonders. True to form why purchase a proper "baking belt" when I can cut up one of my kids towels (shhh, don't tell my wife) and safety pin it into a modified baking belt. How to use the belt: Wet the belt Wring out excess water so that it's still wet but not dripping everywhere Place the belt around the baking tin Pop the tin into the oven I have better results on a non fan forced bake at a slightly lower temperature for a little longer.  I forgot to use the baking belt for the last cake and it shows. No prizes for guessing which one it is!

Rainbow unicorn cake

Much to my wife's joy (relief?) we finally had a girl and she's turning 1 already! We randomly decided on a rainbow unicorn theme for her birthday as it was the girliest theme we could think of. Turns out that unicorns and rainbows are very much in season which mafe it easy to find supplies!  I started by making the unicorn cake topper as it can be made a few days in advance. There are a number of great YouTube tutorial videos which I used as inspiration for my own take on the unicorn. My wife insisted that I make 'anime' eyes but I couldn't see the appeal since I grew up in Africa with little to no Japanese entertainment. I've learnt to follow my wife's suggestions and the unicorn had a pair of anime eyes :)  I really enjoy problem solving. Below is a picture of an improvised tool to make the eye sockets. I doubt that a .50 cal round has been used in much cake making!  Here is a picture of the nearly completed cake topper. Still to ...